Laughing Owl Sweet Peas
Specialist cut flower Sweet Pea seed
Why grow cut flower sweet peas?
- Cut flower sweet peas are very much a specialist crop. There are few sources of good quality seed, and very little detailed cultural information. This means that few growers attempt the crop, and of those that do, most drop out after one season.
- Sweet peas do not travel well over long distances, so there is no competition from cheap imports.
- They are a traditional wedding flower, but not widely available and so particularly appeal to the fashionable set.
- A long continuity of production can be achieved by succesive plantings and/or the use of strains with different times of flowering.
- Good quality product commands high prices, ensuring good returns to the grower.
© 2006 Mark Rowland