Laughing Owl Sweet Peas
Specialist cut flower Sweet Pea seed
Where to grow cut flower sweet peas
- In areas with cold winters and low winter light levels, sweet peas can be grown in glasshouses. Plant in the fall and grow on over winter with minimal heat input just to give frost protection. Winter Sunshine™ varieties will bloom from late winter onwards. Spring Sunshine™ from about four to five weeks later. A longer continuity may be obtained by following on with Summer Sunshine™ sweet peas sown with heat in mid winter.
- In areas with good winter light levels, the Winter Sunshine™ series will flower much earlier.
- In California, and areas with a similar climate, Winter Sunshine™ sweet peas can be sown outdoors in late summer to flower from mid-winter onwards. The exceptional heat tolerance of the Spring Sunshine™ series will extend production over the summer months. Summer Sunshine™ varieties are not recommended for these areas.
- Summer Sunshine™ sweet peas sown in late winter, hardened off, and planted out after the last frosts are ideal for areas with cool summers.
- If the growing season is too short for most types of sweet pea, try the Winter Sunshine™ series which has a very rapid flowering response.
© 2006 Mark Rowland